Are you looking...?

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The plans I make. The plans God makes.

Yesterday I had figured out that I was going to have breakfast with two guys who are active in ministry - one vocationally, one voluntarily. We were to meet at "half nine" (9:30) at the cafe where the locals go - the one across the street is, according to an unspoken rule, generally agreed to be reserved for tourists.

I woke to a pouring rain. I got ready and then realized that I had left my rain jacket in Jamie's car which was on it's way to his workplace in another town. In my first three days in the country it rained, oh, seven times. So I figured it would die down eventually. It didn't. I waited a while but then finally had to strike out into the soaking atmosphere anyway. I had called ahead to let them know I'd be late, but only got a voicemail system. So, I arrived a bit late at the Cafe. I poked my head in the door and looked around. Not seeing the guys I was to meet, I thought - did they say the other cafe? I started out the door and a woman came after me, calling me by name. I was a bit perplexed for a moment, then realized that I had met her at the church briefly the day before. She offered to text the guys I was trying to connect with, so I grabbed an Americano and sat down with her for a moment.

CULTURAL NOTE: An Americano is a double shot of espresso with hot water added. It's kind of like a strong cup of regular, black coffee. In Northern Ireland, when you order an Americano, they always ask if you want milk in it. I said, "No," which apparently means, "Yes," here when spoken with the proper inflection. Sad times, a ruined Americano...

I didn't notice this problem with my beverage until a few minutes after I started talking with M. By this time, I would have been interrupting God's idea for the morning if I had gotten up to correct my Barista's error. M shared about coming to Christ six years ago after two unfaithful husbands and two kids from each of them. A single mom with four little ones finding Christ and, five years after being destroyed, new love again. It was an amazing story of hurt and redemption. Please pray along with me for M and her family.

I never did catch up with the guys. I walked to the place where one of them keeps his office and ended up connecting with another leader, with whom I would end up spending the next five hours. Due to some errands that needed running, we ended up driving together to Belfast for the afternoon. We had a great talk along the way there, as we walked in the city, as we ate, as we drove back. We covered things like calling, the nature of his local ministry, dreams for the future of his ministry, and problems that he deals with. One thing amazed me about this particular leader - he was absolutely convinced of God's role in putting authority over him. So many miss that point. Instead of allowing God to shape character by submitting to the influence God places over them, people tend to run away from these things and end up being in another situation later - not realizing that their struggle comes from the state of their own heart, and not so much from the things they don't like about the leader over them.

On the way back from Belfast, I finally got ahold of a vehicle. Richie had loaned me his car while he's in the states, but someone had picked it up to do some work on it and hadn't returned it. So, we swung through Seaforde on the way back from Belfast. Our first stop was at the wrong house. A very tall ginger-haired lady came out of the house with a huge scowl on her face. I might just be willing to testify that she was ten feet tall and very scary. Very scary. We were quickly away from there and finally found the right house.

The evening was resevred for dinner in Annalong with Sara Ferris' mum. She had arranged a wonderful meal of chicken curry - perfectly spicy - and for two of the deacons and their wives from the Baptist church to be there. Along with conversation about Nat King Cole, American politics, and the sad state of our health-care system, we had a great conversation about what it looks like when we can focus in ministry. This seemed to grab their attention unlike anything else we discussed. They have been searching for a pastor for almost two years now. They feel scattered and aimless. Without vision. Pray for the leadership at the Baptist church to follow God in selecting their next pastor. Pray against division witin their small body. Pray for a Godly leader to be installed there, not just the one who will keep things the way they've always been.

A personal prayer request - continue to pray for me. I had a very different sort of spiritual attack last night at bedtime. It was an attack of fear. Not an anxiety attack. Not a hold me, I'm scared thing. It was unusual. It reminded me of a time in India while I was on a mission trip a few years ago. It was distinct. Clear. Not a run away now sort of feeling, but a simple, chilling awareness of the numinous - that which is present but unseen. An awareness of opposition. I prayed and spoke the Word out loud and finally was fine. I asked God to lift up people to pray for me. Thanks if that was you praying at 7:00 EDT last night!

Well, I'm off to meet with several people soon. Thank you for checking in. Thank you for praying for me. Thank you for praying for my family as I'm away.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The Tuesday night dinner crownd prayed for you as I was grilling chicken. We start at 7ish.

12:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home