Are you looking...?

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Appearances #1 and #2.

So, in my eyes-wide-open watching for those I would normally overlook, discount, or outright ignore, I found two on an airplane. Siegfried was a man in his 50's, hailing from Stuttgart, Germany. Gagik was from the former Soviet Republic of Arminia. They had met in a bar in the Louisville airport and clambbered aboard the flight already in an altered state of happiness. Siggy was determined that everyone sitting in his row was going to have a drink. I politely declined but went out of my way to make sure he knew I was thankful for his offer of generosity. Gago had been forced to marry a girl from the home of his heritage although it sounded like he liked an American girl. They have twins now. The obstinate one, he compared to his wife. The intelligent one, to himself.

Gagik eventually asked what I did. I told him. He went on to remind me every few minutes afterward that he was planning to go to church this weekend. He said his wife attends a local church, but he gives money to get out of his perceived "responsibility".

The conversation was like ping-pong afterward. We talked about Siegfried's engineering skills as applied to a fire hydrant in which he installed a tap so that he could attach a keg, hidden inside a garbage can buried in his backyard, to create an unexpected dispenser of brew for his backyard parties. Gago reminded me he was going to go to church. Siegfried asked if Gagik was going to watching the formula one race this weekend. Gago leaned over to me and told me he wasn't going to be able to make it to church this weekend... "The race. Sorry..." Then he'd change his mind, determined to make an appearance at worship. Then he remembered he has a trip to New York this coming weekend. "I don't think I'll make it to church. Sorry..."

These guys were an absolute riot. But talking with them made me just want more for them. I'm praying God will draw them to Himself along this journey of life. In Romans 9 this morning I was reminded God is in the business of restoring lost people - "Those I called 'not my people' I will call 'my people'." Pray for them if you think of it - Siegfried. Gagik.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home