Are you looking...?

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Golden.

Do for others what you'd want them to do for you. Everything taught in Scripture is summed up there. That's what Jesus said in Matthew 7:12. Easy to understand, difficult to do. Do you ever try to obey this by not doing to others what you'd rather not have them do to you? I do. I'd rather ignore the fact that Jesus said, "Do." Sometimes I'd rather turn from action so I don't cause anyone to cry foul. Then I can say at least I didn't mess anything up. But by doing nothing, I am affecting no one. It creates a barrier of inactivity around me.

I know it's true - if I want to bring a smile to God's face, if I want Him to move to the edge of His seat in anticipation, if I want Him to stand to His feet in applause, I will do to others. Anyone out there succeeding with this doing? How are you living it? Comment anonymously if necessary...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been pondering along the same lines lately with the idea of "doing". I seem to find myself more and more inactive in the grand scheme of my faith the more I evaluate myself... I think it's the reality that I could always be more and always do more.... which in it's self is the point... progression. I think where I mess up is I see what I want to be and I want to be it instantly... I don't often cherish the journey... the refinement. I want to be better today than I was yesterday... I want to do more today than I did yesterday... I think I need to start being ok with smaller/ slower steps... so there's that.

12:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never thought of it this way. I guess I tend to do the same, it's easier somehow-doesn't require any energy. How lazy am I? Thanks for making me consider, think.

1:55 PM

 
Blogger tdurbs said...

I hate to be the guy who speaks in cliche and tired Christianese, but I feel like my life has said recently, "The less you worry about this-or-that and *just love*, the more you'll find yourself living."

The more I love someone, the more good I will want for them, and the more prone I will be to do *something* to bring that about.

I'm just very stingy, and of course imperfect, with my love.

I've got preferences with who I want to love, how I want to love them. Same goes for how I love myself. And my God.

1:06 PM

 
Blogger phil_style said...

Not doing evil, and doing good are aguably different things. Surely it's no enough to simply avoid doing evil, but rather the standard set here by what Matthew recrods Jesus saying is very high indeed.

James, I suppose, paraphrases with his faith without works is dead (work sof love perhaps, as opposed to works of religious or cultural law?)

8:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home