Are you looking...?

Friday, March 09, 2007

Ohne Worte Part II

OK. I wrote that post and something strange happened the following day. I turned invisible. Not literally, but kind of like the dude in Ellison's classic work The Invisible Man. Kind of like it, I said. Anyway - in a rather humorous yet disturbing way, no one would speak to me. I had to initiate all conversations that day. It was crazy. I literally walked into rooms filled with people and in-between people having conversations and it was as though I were invisible. I didn't feel like anyone was trying to snub me or anything - the longer it went on the more I laughed inside. It was as though I were being challenged with the idea of whether or not I was truly alright with silence... alright in my own skin. Could I function Ohne Worte - in a verbal void? It forced me to talk with God about who I am inside. It made me consider whether or not I needed verbal affirmation that what I do matters, that who I am is significant. Interesting times. After that day it was over. Everything's back to normal. I am visible again. And the inside is a bit clearer than before. Maybe it was all just a new version of solitude in the rush and tumble of this cultural monastery...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home