Are you looking...?

Friday, March 02, 2007

Walk slower. And wait.

I've been camping out in Jeremiah, taking a slow journey through. It's been this good thing to come to the Word with no specific expectations of what I'm going to hear - to just spend time with Christ, letting Him speak when, if, and what He wants to... Writing curriculum for the church, I get into a rut of studying for the purpose of writing - not so much for encountering Christ, the living word. I find myself seeing just black ink on white pages instead of the Living Jesus. The slow walk has been good.

It was during this time in my reading of Jeremiah last week that God decided to put His finger down on one particular verse. It was Jeremiah 42:7 - Ten days later, the LORD gave his reply to Jeremiah. In my life with God, I've discovered this amazing thing - He answers prayer. But somehow along the way, the good part of a life lived expectantly morphed into a life lived in childish demand. So, reading this verse I was like, "Why did he have to wait ten days?"

Even as I spoke it, I was busted. I was cut. The need for heart-surgery was clear. I have lost sight of patience. I have forgotten again that God works for those who wait for Him.

Lord, thanks for this slow walk we've been on. And thanks that you do answer when we ask. Thanks that You're not angry with me, but that You desire what's best for me. Help me to wait well. Amen.

3 Comments:

Blogger tdurbs said...

I will second that "Amen."

12:31 PM

 
Blogger phil_style said...

I often wonder about the level of perseverance Abraham must have had in order to wait for the fulfilment of his promises. . . And the text we have available doesn;t suggest that God spoke to Abraham every day along his journey either. . .

2:56 PM

 
Blogger Will said...

That's always a great reminder for me - that God did these amazing things in the lives of real people... but I suffer from this disconnect sometimes. I can read several chapters of scripture in about an hour and have their whole story, yet these events happened over an entire lifetime, some lifetimes over 100 years long! And I still get impatient. Maybe we should blame it on my nationality?

8:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home